Thursday, October 10, 2013

Justin Waters Interview

I had the chance to interview Justin Waters this past week about his career, his future and his biggest inspirations. Check out the interview below as well as Justin's Soundcloud and Facebook for more music in the future.

Soundcloud: justin-waters
Facebook: justinwatersofficial
Twitter: @justinwaters


When did you first begin to like electronic dance music and what about it made it something you enjoyed so much?
A friend of mine that I went to high school and worked with was really into electronic music and got me into it. I started going to raves and really liked the scene. Everybody was chill and there were hardly any fights like you might see at a club that plays hip hop. You can just go, dance and have a good time, carefree.


Is there a certain DJ that inspires you to make the music you make?
Avicii is definitely one of my biggest inspirations of the moment! His style is melodic and timeless. It doesn't rely on dirty drops or particular sounds. You could listen to it in 20 yrs and still like it. That's def the direction I want to go, but I have my own melodic style, which I would say is a lot darker than his!


You seem to have a much different style than many DJs out there today, where most of your tracks all sound very different from one another. Can you talk about your style of producing and deejaying?
I'll talk more about my producing, because I started off as more of a producer than a dj. I try to do something different with every track, whether it be with the arrangement or the melodies and chords. I'll usually start off with something that inspires me, like some chords and a vocal or a melody and a vocal or just a melody or chord progression. It's not always the same thing and that's prob why a lot of my tracks sound very different!


What is your favorite track that you have made so far in your career and why?
The Rihanna remix I did about a year ago! http://bit.ly/ZOaKCC It's a very unique track in so many ways. It gave me goosebumps when I was making it! The chords and the melody, it's in 6/8 which you never hear in modern dance music. It has an augmented chord in it; you'd never hear that in a typical pop/Rihanna track. The lead I made myself and I think is very unique!


What do you do when you aren't producing and Deejaying?
When I have free time, which is not very often, I like to watch movies, go to the beach, talk with family on the phone and hang out with friends.

What do you hope to accomplish in your career as a producer/DJ? 

Sky is the limit. For right now, I don't have a particular goal in mind, except to become a globally recognized traveling dj and producer.

What is your dream gig? 

TomorrowWorld is the festival of the moment! Sky is the limit, I guess!!

Can you tell us what you're working on right now and what you have planned in the upcoming months?
I've got about 5 unreleased tracks that I need to release and I'm always working on new material. Just to keep a steady flow of quality releases coming out, which is easier said than done! Play a few gigs and try to get more in the process. 

What advice would you give to young kids and teens that aspire to be a producer or DJ?
I feel at this point, it's all or nothing. You can't half ass it with so much competition out there. If you're going to dream, dream big and go for it without hesitation!! Learn an instrument and some music theory; you don't have to use it, but at least you'll have the option!

No comments:

Post a Comment